Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hm, What did I learn?


What have you learned from it all?

I’ve learned to be brave, relentless, and attentive.  These are not inspired attributes, but rather mandatory evolutions, necessary for survival, in high school but more specifically in life. I have learned that the pursuit of being your best is far more advantageous than the pursuit of being the best. These four years have been the longest four years of my natural born life to date, and the most influential. I have come to know that the experience is about finding yourself, growing that self, and preserving that self when the villainous agents of conformity fight to distort and reduce the new-found brilliance that is still so unfamiliar. The only way to truly survive, or to efficiently maintain the essence of you, is to thrive, to shine among the dull and those who consistently radiate. I have trained extensively in the art of perseverance.  I have learned of the strength it takes to keep fighting valiantly for your Personal Legend with dignity, grace, and tact.

Here, I discovered the innumerable possibilities. The fictitious limits that existed only in my mind no longer have control. I have seen my power, and have learned to harness it. I have learned that the only person who can stop me is me. I have discovered my hidden talents, and hidden desires, and I am dangerous.   At some point along this journey at Fort Lauderdale High School, a spark was lit in my soul. A fire burns deep in me that no fear, no worry, no pang of discomfort, or guilt has ever been or will ever be strong enough to extinguish. I have learned that I truly am a force to be reckoned with, a force that can accomplish the impossible, a force destined for greatness of the highest caliber. I have learned that I can do it; I can be my ultimate self, and that self will be one of the world’s greatest contributions.

 More importantly, I have learned to recognize that potential in others.  I am grateful for the wise people that recognized that potential in me and have made countless sacrifices as they leverage their time, knowledge, and prudence to help me find the young woman that hid underneath all the layers of insecurity. When I can’t seem to find it in me to keep fighting for me, I will fight for them. I learned that I owe it to them to be great, to confirm their resolute belief in me, my ability, and my destiny.  I learned that I matter; that we all matter.

On my first day of school, four years ago, I intended to bring to Fort Lauderdale High what it had never seen before. I was going to be different, new, unique, special. They were going to notice. I was going to make everyone notice. My parents were blind. My friends were blind. The teachers were blind, and I was determined to make them all notice. I learned that I was the one who needed to pay more attention. I needed to wake up.  I needed to notice what was really important, and relevant. I needed to learn, to think, and Fort Lauderdale High School and its brilliant educators taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment